I don't know about you, but I really don't use my microwave much. I use it for heating up cold coffee and hot dogs and that's about it.
I did find a recipe in an article written by Karen Herzog, for dog treats and they are SO easy, you just have to make them. I want to share it with you!
Peanut Butter Pups
Makes 2 dozen large or 4 dozen small dog biscuits
1½ cups whole-wheat flour
¼ cup rolled oats
¼ cup milk powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk¾ cups creamy peanut butter
In a large mixing bowl using a fork, blend flour, oats, dry milk and baking powder. Mix in milk and peanut butter. Dough will be stiff and dry. Knead to incorporate ingredients.
Roll out dough to between 1/8- and ¼-inch-thickness; ¼-inch is too thick. Cut into 4 dozen small or 2 dozen large biscuits.
Coat any microwave-safe flat surface, such as glass plate, with vegetable oil spray. (She uses the glass carousel of her microwave.)
In batches, place biscuits on the surface and microwave 5 minutes on high (100% power).
Remove plate and let cool until biscuits are hard and dry. (Don't cool in microwave, as the cooking process creates steam.) Repeat with remaining biscuits. Store baked treats in an airtight container or plastic bag and place in refrigerator or freezer.
Note: Crunchy, dry treats are good for your dog's teeth.
My dog loves them!! And when I first made these, I could not find my doggy cookie cutters, so I used my Pampered Chef Apple Slicer, as you can see from the photo. It works great - the treats are perfect bite sizes AND you make so many more at one time!
These are so healthy and you can add carrots and apples to your recipe too!
Followers
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Peanut Butter Pups
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I was so excited about getting a dog now that we have a fence. But it looks like it will have to wait another year. I'm going back to school and since Mark travels for work a lot, poor pup would be home alone too much :o(
With two dogs in the house, we just might have to try this one!
Thanks...I'm going to try that next week for my 2 girls.
I could substitute the whole wheat flour with rice flour and then my husband could eat it.
Praying for you....is everything ok??
Thanks for the recipe! My parents have two dogs and Eric's family has one, so this would be great for the dog's Christmas presents! I'll make sure to write this down and try it out in December. :) Thanks!
My dog does go nuts for these, as well as the neighbor dog. Just remember to keep them in the freezer. They can eat them straight out of the freezer. I keep mine in a jar.
Ivanhoe, I'm sorry you have to wait longer - but good for you, going back to school!
Maybe you could foster dogs or volunteer at the Humane Society to get your fix.
Or get a dog that you have to train for a year for the blind. You have to take them everywhere!!
I think the place in upstate NY is called Guiding Eyes for the Blind. I had read about them in Readers Digest and even met "Corky" the head dog at the time, on the Metro North. That was exciting! (for me anyway) That was about 12 years ago, I'm sure he has gone over the Rainbow Bridge.
Post a Comment