Followers

Thursday, July 10, 2008

I could not speak

I don't know if you figured out yet or not, but I am a pretty outspoken person. Today, I could not speak. I stood there in horror as I watched a situation right before my eyes.

As I previously mentioned, we went to the movies. As we exited, my son saw himself on a commercial he is in from one of the sponsors for the $2.50 summer movie deals. We were going to wait for the loop to run through and show his friends and watch it again and then the incident happened.

A woman, who was clearly with a daycare of some sort started talking sternly and tersely to this boy that looked to be about four. Take your partner's hand, she said. He stood there and just looked blank. TAKE YOUR PARTNER'S HAND OR YOU DO NOT COME TO THE NEXT MOVIE. He stood there looking, as if he didn't know what to do. I think his partner already had someones hand. ONE, she snapped, TWO OR YOU DO NOT COME TO THE NEXT MOVIE, she snaps again - he held his head down in shame. THREE she demands and he looks around. YOU CAN TAKE ANYONE AND IT CAN BE MORE THAN TWO -FOUR, his head drops down again. A little boy quietly moved to the right and grabbed his hand. The front lady came to these boys and knelt down and softly spoke to him and then they moved on.

I was so shocked that I could not speak. I can not remember the boys name. I burst into tears. As the group moved forward, another group came by. I stopped a lady and said through choked tears - Do you know that group - that lady there? No why she says. I really couldn't tell you if I told her everything or not, but she apologized for me being upset and see if there was anything they could do and then they were all gone. The buses, the crowd, everyone.

I couldn't think, I couldn't talk and I just cried for what seemed like 10 minutes. I couldn't wait anymore for that commercial to come around and told my son we would have to see it another time. I cried all the way home - for a whole hour. I kept thinking, does this mother know what she was sending her child off to for the day?

I called the movie theater and spoke with the General Manager. I asked him to review the tapes. He said he would, but it wouldn't be in 5 minutes. He said he would get back to me and has not.

Wisconsin has a State Agency that monitors Day Cares. I called them and was put in touch with a supervisor. She called the movie theater and he thinks they are going to be back in a week and 1/2 and is going to try to get a name. While on hold, I began to think clearly. We all had to turn our tickets in at the cash register to get our free popcorn, I could identify her from that. They were going to call back the movie theater and see if he would work with us on that or check the buses out front, if there were cameras there. We could check with the bus company and see who they picked up.

If you have kids, hug them tight and think of this little boy and if your kids are in daycare, make sure you take the time for surprise visits and make sure your child is being treated respectfully.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I hope that they are able to find out what day care it was, the parents definately need to be informed about it.

I'm sorry your movie day ended badly

wfbdoglover said...

Thanks Amber.

Marinka said...

It's amazing to me that there are people who don't like children and don't have the temperament to work with them, who work with them nonetheless. I wonder if it's because as a society we "look down" on caregivers. Very sad.

wfbdoglover said...

I've seen it in schools too Marinka. There is always that one child.......

Ivanhoe said...

Oh my! I don't know if I would be able to act up on it like you did. I'm a little skeptical though that anybody will do anything about it *sigh* Poor boy!

wfbdoglover said...

Well, if I don't get any action, I will got to the police if I have to. I did contact one of our local TV stations, the girl that has done daycare work and she will be back on Saturday and if I have to go for the next two Wednesday's and Thursday's I will go and sit and watch...

Andrea said...

I would most certainly be infuriated if I discovered someone speaking to my child that way.

Good for you for trying to do something about it.

Kimberly McKay said...

God bless you for trying to take action. That breaks my heart and makes me so thankful I don't have to deal with day care. My mom watches my son when I work! I am so blessed to have her!