Followers

Monday, July 14, 2008

Farm Shopping

One day, I was reading our local paper and noticed all these robberies at a farm. (People were stealing apples) I googled the name and found Barthel's Fruit Farm.


That was three season's ago. We went apple picking. I got on their mailing list and last year I took my mom on "an outing" and bought her a hanging basket for Mother's Day. This has now become a tradition with us and this year, we went on Father's Day while the guys went golfing.
All of the flowers are Organic and more than reasonable in price. The red flower basket I got, was $17.00's. With a Clematis, my hanging basket, a perennial and my mom's hanging basket, my whole order came to $54.00's. You can see my mom loaded up on a few items as well.








We have gone as a family to pick apples and pumpkins, again organic. This farm does sell to the local stores here, but it is way more fun to go and pick them yourself. I encourage you to find a local farm, and spend some quality family time together picking apples, flowers and/or pumpkins.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a pumpkin patch near here and several farmers markets in the late summer. I like buying things from them because for some of those people it becomes quite a bit of their income.

Ivanhoe said...

I have been talking about it for years. I just have to pick myself up one day, hop in the car and just go...

wfbdoglover said...

Do it do it do it! You'll have a blast Ivanhoe. You will not regret it and as Amber says it is quite a bit of their income.

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun! Its always great to pick things yourself!

anymommy said...

It is fun. We have a great area here with tons of self-pick farms to choose from. We've picked apples, pumpkins and strawberries. The kids love it.

wfbdoglover said...

OOH It is fun Kelsey... you should give it a try sometime.

Anymommy, I have tried for three seasons, unsuccesfully to get someone to go strawberry picking with me... Do you make your own jam?

Ivanhoe said...

Breaking news: Amber got engaged!!!!!!! Check her blog :o) I'm so excited for her!

Anonymous said...

Kudos!

I went apple picking for the first time last October at Apple Holler in Kenosha and loved it! I highly recommend going there. In fact, I'm going back this fall!

Kimberly McKay said...

What an awesome place!!! Wish they had one in OKC.

anymommy said...

Aha, ha, ha!! ha!! Oh my gosh, you've got me teared up with laughter with that question. I love you for even thinking I might be capable of making homemade jam. Sadly, I have trouble with mac and cheese. I once poisoned my entire family with a lasagne. I might have to post about that!

wfbdoglover said...

Please do, sounds interesting!