Followers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Help Wildlife and give some life

The Wisconsin Humane Society has an outstanding wildlife program. They have helped me numerous times and so today, when I saw a squirrel laying face down in my yard under a chair, I didn't hesitate to pick up the phone and call them for help.

When they called back, I explained that the squirrel was alive, I initially thought it was dead. It had flies all over it. They said that it would really be helpful to the squirrel if I brought it in. They didn't have anyone to come and pick it up. I said I would try my best.

I found a shoe box in the attic and came outside. The squirrel was gone. I looked around under the pine trees and found it near the neighbors yard. I put the box over the top, but lost it when I tried to get the self attached cover over with the squirrel in it and it ran behind some wood behind our house.

I gotta be honest with you. I was scared to death. I was shaking I was so afraid to touch this thing. I'm not called doglover for nothing. I've caught a lot of strays, rabbits, birds and even helped a possum. Yesterday my neighbor called and said there was a blond girl in my back yard with a lost dog and my adrenaline starts going and I start going through a check list of things I need to get together to catch a dog. As I walked to the back window to peak outside, it clicked it was her coming to collect her dog and she was joking.

SOOO I did what any panicked citizen would do... I called the cops. I swear they know me by voice there and the administrative secretary said she could transfer me to dispatch and they could help me. I was shocked AND relieved. The officer pulled up and wanted to know what I needed. I explained on how I was afraid to grab it and I had called the Humane Society and they asked if I could bring it in. He said that was more humane than the last person he helped with an opossum. They had him shoot the head off. WOW can he even do that?

Anyhow, the officer came and we got the squirrel in a towel, then in the box. He noticed blood on its stomach. As I droveto the Humane Society, three flies got out and were flying around my car. I opened the sunroof and the front windows to get rid of them. One sat on the window sill, almost enjoying his ride hanging out the window while driving miles down the freeway. I tried to get a photo, but in my haste to leave - I grabbed my son's cell phone and didn't know how to work it.

I finally made it to the Humane Society, taking city streets to reconnect to the freeway and avoid all the traffic backlog due to Summerfest. I was greatful I remembered to tape the box edges, because twice it tried to get out. Of coarse I screamed each time!

About 4:30, I called for an update, expecting to hear it was shot with a BB Gun and they put it down, but instead - to my delight I found out that she was a mother in destressed labor. They hadn't figured out quite what to do with her, but at least she is in a cool place - away from the biting flies and out of the heat. I truly hope that she is able to have her babies. I'll keep you posted tomorrow. Maybe they will give them back and we can release them home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW that was great of you!

Kelsey
mysweetlife.org

wfbdoglover said...

sadly, she passed away before a vet got to her....