Tonight I drove 4 of the Boy Scouts to Camp Erin for their Camporee outing. Almost 50 scouts are attending this fabulous event. On our way out, we saw three of these and we road along side one of these. Now in my neck of the woods, we only drive city limits, 25-30 mph tops. You usually stop and let them cross, as they can do a lot of damage to your car. One of my passengers was a life scout, since we were on a two lane highway, he told me to step on it, and I did. It passed behind us.. (whew)
Part of my responsibility was to drive INTO the campsite. I followed the scout master, almost hitting a tree on a sharp turn. We had a bit of a wait to figure out camp assignments and the boys started to unload and set up camp. It was fun to watch, and I could kick myself for not bringing my camera.
It got dark really fast and I asked my passengers to unload their items so I could leave. Well, I got lost. That's right = no GPS and NO cell phone service. I couldn't even call for help if I wanted to. So after 1/2 an hour of wandering around gravel road and almost finding myself in a pond and camp sites 18 & 19, I FINALLY hit pavement. The best part of that adventure was seeing one of these hopping along the road. I knew the pavement would take me to the parking lot. As I'm driving around, I saw the volleyball court and the parking lot, but could not find a way TO GET TO IT! I almost drove across it, but my poor baby - well, I just couldn't risk hurting her any more.
After skidding to a stop - I almost ended up on gravel road again. A quick reverse and I FINALLY hit the parking lot. I just wanted to kiss the ground. So much for it looking like fun to camp out.
20 minutes later, I was back to civilization and cell phone service. My husband had a campfire waiting in our back yard, when I got home, and we sat outside and chatted for a bit!
Next year, I'm asking for a map AND bringing my camera or maybe I should have them hike in?
Now back to my cherry Koolaid and Vodka. I say that, backwards as I can barely taste the koolaid!
Followers
Friday, September 26, 2008
You can't take the City out of the Girl
Posted by wfbdoglover at 9:44 PM
Labels: Boy Scouts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I knew you were drinking :o) Bwahahaha... What an adventure!
Post a Comment