Followers

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nature

One thing I love about where we live is that I am still so close to nature - even though I am still in the city.

Last week, there was a deer on my block. Yesterday, my dog flushed out a rabbit from my garden and then he and the cat double teamed it and were stalking together. (no rabbit was hurt in that situation)

Today, I was standing on my back deck and a little squirrel came around the side of my house. He stood up with a nut in his mouth and stared at me. Made my morning.

We regularly see coyotes, raccoons, foxes, possums, hawks, wood peckers, even cute red squirrels and chip monks.

How close are you to nature? Who lives in your neighborhood?

9 comments:

JEWEL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JEWEL said...

Thank you for the compliment on my page. You asked how I did it ... What specifically can I help you with?

Ivanhoe said...

All I get is birds and squirrels and chipmunks. My dream is to get a farm house. Some day...

I have yet to sign up for Flicker. Hopefuly in a few weeks when I have some pics to post :o)

Angela said...

That is great!!!
It is nice to see nature right out the back door... except for the snakes we get from the pond... I can do without them!!!

Marinka said...

That is so great. We live in NYC, so we're pretty wildlife free, although a few years ago my husband took the kids to the playground and said that right outside the playground were a bunch of NYPD and they were surrounding something and it turned out to be a squirrel that they suspected of being rabid!

At my parents' house upstate, there are wild turkeys, rabbits, coyotes (we just hear the howling), deer and bears. I'd like something between no animals and bears, please.

Ivanhoe said...

Stop by when you have a minute, I have some bling waiting for you :o)

Anonymous said...

We have squirrels and birds.

wfbdoglover said...

That's great to hear - you all have some nature! Angela, what kinda snakes? YIPES!

Last night I saw a hopping toad, but I was about 1 hour away from my house. He was so cute!

Anonymous said...

I live right in the city, so I don't get to see too many wild animals besides birds and the occasional squirrel. Speaking of squirrels, there’s one that comes to our dumpster pretty regularly, so I decided to name him Pete. I’ve caught Pete rummaging in the garbage and pulling out random foods and eating them while perched on the lid. A few days ago I saw him eating a slice of pizza – just like a human would eat it – and another time, half of a Snickers bar with the paper rolled down. Hilarious. I wish I had my camera!