Followers

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - Happy or Not?

I saw a blog post on a blog I've recently started reading and it said "Happy Memorial Day" and a picture of a flag. This morning when I was getting ready for a flag ceremony parade, I was thinking what do you say for Memorial Day? What's proper? All day I wondered what I would say to someone - so I said nothing.

Is it really a "Happy" Memorial Day when we are at war, or someone is a Vetran of War?

Then I thought I would say Thank you for serving, enjoy Memorial Day.... Enjoy your day - but that didn't seem right, as we are remembering the dead and those that have been injured at war. I wasn't sure what to say.. is it really a celebration??

So - what do you say? Does anyone know the proper greeting?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two grandfathers who had served in the Navy in WWII. I say "Happy" Memorial Day because the day is in honor of them. Sure, it can be a somber day if you've known a fallen soldier, but the day, in my opinion, is meant to be a celebration in honor of those who have fallen, fought or are currently serving our country. Of course, death is a sad thing, but a day that brings to mind those who we have lost shouldn't be done with a frown. I remember my grandpas with a smile and especially feel honored to have known them on a day like Memorial Day. So, Happy Memorial Day! Celebrate our heroes.

Karen
Playinthecity.blogs.com

wfbdoglover said...

Thanks KC, and the blog mentioned wasn't yours, I didn't see it until this morning...


Maybe I'm just a bit annoyed still about the woman and her son who were both chatting on received phone calls at the ceremony we were at....

Hope you had a Happy Memorial Day!

Anonymous said...

I know you weren't referring to my blog (I didn't have a photo of a flag) :) I was just clarifying.

It seems like many people lose sight of what Memorial Day represents. Sure it's nice to cookout and watch a parade, but it's a shame that people forget why we have the day off to do such things in the first place.

Anyway, I hope you had a great day.

wfbdoglover said...

It was nice... until the weather dropped 20 degrees... and to think, I almost put our winter bag away of gloves and hats.

Sunday night, we had "little bird"'s friends family over for a evening fire. We made smores and sat until until the rain came...(we tried to get into the ladies lounge, but since our cars were broken into last week, my neighbor locked her garage while she was away)

Yesterday we did the Fox Point Parade, they asked for other Scout Troops to come and help. That was nice, although I'm still temping to blog about the kid on the cell phone and the mom telling me he would be off in a minute..)

Then my parents came over about 3:00. My neighbor ate dinner with us, so that was nice too.

Sunday, "Little Bird" helped my dad setting up for the Shorewood Memorial Day service and they also cleaned up. Two people asked my son's Troop for help. One wanted us to burn some flags for them, the other are three men that are getting to old to put flags on the graves of the Veterans. They would like help next year. So that was kinda cool.

How about you? How did you spend your day?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day! I'll probably post something tonight about my Memorial Day. Stay tuned. :)