Followers

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Letters

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of days, and am now inspired by a post at But Why Mommy.

When I was younger, my grandparents lived in California for many, many years. My grandmother always said, "write me a letter and I will write you back" or "Don't forget to write me a letter".

I always did.

My grandfather died and ten years later, my grandmother. When we were going through her belongings; stacks of letters were found from all six grand-daughters in a cupboard. We all had a bonding moment, sadly our last, reading the letters and finding one of someones in our piles. We had a blast trading them all.

The other day, I found one of those letters I had written and thought I would share. I was 15 at the time. I'm including all the typos!

Aug. 10, 1982

Dear Papa and Nana,

Hi How are you .Did you see the show Monday ? It was called Filthy Rich. It is really Good. I hope they make a
regular series of it . Are you still watch-ing Faclon Crest?
I love that show sooooooooooo ( ect... ) much.!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Did you see it last Friday? It was really good.I can't wait untill they start the series over. Are you still interested
in Dallas? I personally do no like the show anymore. It hardly ever changes . The same people do the same things ever show. There is hardly any variety of the show.

P apa how is your golf coming along? Did you like my idea about you trying to teach me again? I hope so .

As you seee We finally go the typewriter fixed. How is my typing? Is it getter better. I agree. It needs a little work.

When is your Plane coming in. I know on August 23, but, could I have the times, and the flight number?!!!!!!!!

Well, I better go , it is getting late and I have to get to bed. Good - Night and sleep tight and dont let the bed bugs bite.

Your loving granddaughter,


P.S. I hope you like the Alligator? Know you can be "preppy".


ROTFLMAO, I totally remember finding this cloth type alligator sticker and sending it and typing on our electric typewriter and trying to make corrections with the correction tape. HA HA and sometimes you were barely touch the keys and they would hit the page.

What memories! Memories I would not have had, if I didn't find the letter.

Did anyone else have "The Preppy HandBook?". My "preppy name" was Kikki, what was yours?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet those letters were so fun to read.

What an awesome thing for you find!

Ivanhoe said...

S.w.e.e.t.
My maternal grandparents died before I hit 3 years old and I never met my fraternal. You have a wonderful memories :o)

Anonymous said...

Both of my paternal grandparents died last year, within six months of each other. When my dad and I were cleaning out their house, I also found a stack of the letters I sent and the drawings I made for them. It was a bitter-sweet moment.

Thanks for sharing.

www.betweenthebars.typepad.com

dot said...

I love the letter! What great memories your family has saved.
I'm too old to have had The Preppy HandBook. Thank Goodness! lol

wfbdoglover said...

Thanks! They certainly were fun to read and still are from time to time!

Vodka Mom said...

omg I LOVED that. Yeah, I wore Izod. Shh, don't tell anyone.

anymommy said...

Izod wearer! So sweet. Makes me thing I will ask my kids to write to their grandparents.

Kimberly McKay said...

absolutely precious...You are precious! I love finding hidden treasures like these, and I'm sure it's one you'll enjoy forever.