Followers

Friday, November 14, 2008

I remember

My son's prinicpal asked what I remembered about middle school. Here is what I remember about my middle school years.

Everyone doing cheer leading in 6th grade, then the 5 "girls" continued on while the rest of us did volleyball, basketball and baseball. Who would want to be a cheerleader anyway?

playing keep away - tackle football girls against the boys. Whoever touched the wall at the end of recess won. If we were lucky, John Heckle played on our side and didn't switch back to the boys at the end of recess.

building forts in the trailer for the newspaper drive.

at the church picnic we ran out of soda for the soda fight and switched to beer. I remember my dad getting mad that I was all covered in goo and couldn't ride home in the car, I had to walk.

playing tag in the church while the parents were at the spaghetti social in the basement.

going off with my friend Lisa and her two dogs for the day pretending we were lost in a jungle and we were plane crash survivors. We of coarse had packed a lunch.

days and weeks of monopoly games and as soon as we were finished we would pack up and move to the next persons house only to start again.

sleepovers and watching Channel 6's the late show and then the late late show - they were always scary movies. I also remember the national anthem being played when TV went off for the night.

swimming - as most of us had pools.

going to Stonewood Village and "shopping". I remember buying my mom a rose with a card that said with deepest sympathies because she got mad that I called home "collect" thinking it was a free call and I saved her a quarter.

rollerskating on Friday nights and thinking it was "weird" that certain kids skated during couples time - holding hands.

my friend Ross asking me to "go with him" and I said "go where" and then he clarified and I said "Why would we do that?". (I was on the phone in the closet too. That's where I did all my talking on the phone) We weren't friends anymore after that.

I remember playing kick the can and "jail" at night, camping in tents and playing cards all night long. I remember the neighbor boys sneaking up to scare us, but they didn't.

Bonnie Bell lipsticks, wearing my mom's high heeled boots to a party and trying to convince our mom's to take us to see the movie GREASE. It was rated R back then. We all went and no one got pregnant until we were married.

I remember cupcake day. 15 cents each, and two for a quarter. I remember the cupcake fights too... I did say we were tom boys?

I'm sure I can go on forever. :)

4 comments:

JEWEL said...

Imagine - you may have been first to think of the theme for "Lost" :-)

Nice reflection ... I loved dodgeball!

Anonymous said...

what do you have against cheerleaders? ha! ha! just kidding.

I was a cheerleader for 6 years and loved it.

Ivanhoe said...

Wow! Those are some memories :o) I cannot really remember much from mine...

Vodka Mom said...

Oh i love this,.....

I remember Skin perfume,
P-nut jeans,
tiny little purses
braces, pimples and unrequited love.

those were the days..........